Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Monday, December 7, 2009

A Promise Realized

When I first became a mom, it didn't take me long to realize that there is temptation to sin even within the realm of parenthood.  How many times in Scripture are parents instructed to "train," "discipline," and "correct" their children?  And yet, as my firstborn (Abel) grew and the sin nature began to rear its ugly head in him, I often found myself growing weary of training, disciplining, and correcting; and at those times I was very tempted to simply ignore the wrong behavior of my son because it was easier than dealing with it.

I'm not going to claim that I've never given into that temptation.  I have.  It's hard to be consistent and persistent.  BUT, as I continually realize, it's worth it.

Tonight I was sitting in the kitchen with Abel, now 3 1/2 years old; and as we visited and laughed together, my heart was blessed.  His polite words, his happy countenance, his sincere laugh... it was pleasant to be in his company.  And I was reminded of a promise in Scripture that I have been clinging to for a few years:  "Correct your son, and he will give you comfort; he will also delight your soul" (Proverbs 29:17).

I am so glad that God has given (and is giving) me the wisdom and the patience to persevere in parenthood.  I am glad that giving into the temptation to ignore wrong behavior has not been par for the course of my parenting, because as Scripture says, "a child who gets his own way brings shame to his mother" (Proverbs 29:15).


I am thankful for a son who gives me comfort and who delights my soul.  My Abel.  I love him.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...