Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Monday, July 7, 2008

You Will Know the Truth

Several different faith-based conversations that I've had recently with both family and friends as well as a realization of the numerous false teachings currently abounding in "Christianity" have spurred me on to re-evaluate why I believe some of the things I believe. Tough questions have been raised, and sometimes unable to articulate the basis for my answers to these questions, I have realized that maybe I've never allowed myself to really discover the truth from my own study of Scripture but have rather taken what I've heard from other believers and counted that as truth. I have therefore begun a quest to discover for myself the correct Scriptural answers to the tough questions that many believers often face.

In a day where so many false doctrines are popping up and leading astray unbelievers and believers alike, I am realizing even more the importance of really knowing what Scripture says. I remember a time in my walk with God that I became distressed about this, wondering how I was to recognize untruth. But then God revealed to me that if I know what is true, I will also know what isn't.

And God has not left us incapable of knowing the truth; for He has given us His very Word! John 8:31-32 says, "...If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth...."

God knows how important it is that believers abide in His Word. He has told us to always be ready to make a defense for the hope that is in us (1 Peter 3:15); to let the word of Christ richly dwell within us (Colossians 3:16); to be diligent to present ourselves approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15). And He has also warned us in 1 John 4:1, "Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world"; and again in 1 Thessalonians 5:21, "...examine everything carefully." And how else can we test and examine spiritual things but to weigh them against the Word of God which is from God and in fact is God (John 1:1)?

Beware, Christian, of the theologies that present half-truths or doctrines that are just a little bit off. Know the Word of God, abide in the Word of God, and test everything against the Word of God. That is my quest, that I might stand firmly on the Truth and not be led astray even in the smallest of points.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...