Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

While I Was Wrapping

I have yet to figure out how to go shopping or run other lengthier errands without a) having the kids out at mealtime (meaning we have to eat out) or b) having the kids out at nap time (meaning we have to skip naps).  Today, it was both.  Wendy's fed us lunch, and we missed naps.  But, I was okay with that because it was all in the name of... finishing my Christmas shopping!  (Note: My excitement is more about the excuse to go shopping than it is about getting done shopping. :-))

So, yes, my Christmas shopping is officially done, which also means our Christmas tree is officially complete.  As I mentioned yesterday, I like to get our presents under the tree as soon as possible.  A tree full of wrapped gifts is suspenseful, beautiful, and blessing-full; and I want my family to enjoy that for as much of the season as we can!

The fact that everything is now wrapped means that I've been spending some time... wrapping.  And, the fact that I've been spending some time wrapping means that Isabel and Elliana have been spending some time... messing....

Travis called me from work Monday afternoon; and when I answered, I asked him if he had changed the ring on my phone.  "No, but Elliana might have," came his reply.  "Why do you say that?"  I asked.  "Did you know she called me earlier?" he said.  Apparently, while I had been busy wrapping a few things that morning, Elliana had been busy changing the ring on my phone, calling Daddy, and then deleting him from my speed dial--and my phonebook, for that matter.  And the funny thing is, I never even knew my phone was missing!

When we got home from shopping this afternoon, I, of course, went straight to wrapping the new purchases.  When my phone suddenly rang from across the room, I raised my eyes to see who but Elliana holding the open phone out to me with a look on her face that resembled a cross between guilt and panic.  I took the phone from her to find my sister-in-law on the other end.  "Have you been trying to call or text me?" she asked.

Isabel and Elliana left the basement (where I was wrapping) soon after that.  I was suspect of the silence on the floor above me as I finished wrapping the last of the packages, so when I went upstairs, I did so with a slight feeling of worry at what I might find.  Sure enough, there in the middle of the living room were four or five ornaments scattered on the floor, one green bow lying abandoned next to the ripped package from which it had been torn, and two mischievous and oh-so-guilty babies sitting in the midst of it all, each preparing to open the present that lay in her lap (which just happened to be Elliana's new "house" shoes and Isabel's new "house" shoes.  Isn't it cute that they chose the two obviously identical gifts? :-))

And... just when I thought all of their sneaky deeds had been revealed, I discovered why I was suddenly feeling cold.  Some curious little finger had flipped the switch on the furnace to the off position, leaving a 64-degree indoor temperature to tell me yet another of the mischievous things Isabel and Elliana were doing while I was wrapping....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...