Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Today's Meeting

This afternoon two Jehovah's Witnesses, Don and Brooke, returned to our home for our scheduled meeting.  I wish I could say things went as expected, but that wasn't really the case.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we invited Tom, a Christian friend who recently started a ministry to the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, to join us for today's meeting.  Apparently, Tom's name and reputation for being firmly grounded in the Truth has been buzzing around the Kingdom Hall--as soon as introductions were done and Tom started talking, our JW visitors recalled having heard about him and began to bristle.  They had no intention of allowing any of the three of us Christians--especially Tom--to do any talking, and though we approached the situation with much respect and gentleness, they stated that there was no point in having any further conversation with us.  I was able to say a few things to Brooke (the woman who had originally come to our door a couple weeks ago) before they left, so I pray that somehow God will use something that was said to culitvate unrest in her soul and to cause her to begin to question her own beliefs.  Also, Don, the older gentleman, did agree to meet one-on-one with Tom at the Kingdom Hall next week.  (It seemed that Don was both unprepared and unwilling to hold such a conversation in front of "these kids" (referring to Travis and me--my husband had to bite his tongue on that one!) since we are so "young and impressionable" (which was the gist of his words).)

It's hard to imagine that hearts such as these, hardened by false teaching after false teaching, could be softened to eventually receive the Truth; but praise God that He is able!  Though I feel a bit disappointed about today's meeting, I know that God can still use it for good; and I pray that He will!

Consider God's power to SAVE as you read Paul's words to Timothy....

"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service, even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent aggressor.  Yet I was shown mercy because I acted ignorantly in unbelief; and the grace of our Lord was more than abundant, with the faith and love which are found in Christ Jesus.  It is a trustworthy statement, derserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.  Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.  Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever.  Amen."  (1 Timothy 1:12-17)

And for encouragement to all you "kids" out there,...

"Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe." (1 Timothy 4:12)

Although we now probably have a big red X on our door, I hope God will entrust us with more of these opportunities.  I'm so thankful that we do not have to be afraid of non-Christians or their beliefs, for we have the gospel--the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes (Romans 1:16)!

1 comments:

The Squires Family said...

I have been praying for your meeting and though it may not have gone the way you would have hoped, I know that God used you to plant a seed. I will continue to pray for them.

And on another note, Brad and I are so excited for you and your news! Twins! That is so awesome! God is good and we will continue to pray for all of you these upcoming months.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...