Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Monday, June 21, 2010

He's Still Working On Me!

He's still working on me... and I'm glad!

Recently, I was reading in my Bible from the book of James--reading it and reading it and reading it again.  For about a week I was kind of "stuck" in the book of James.  Why?  Because God was showing me things (a LOT of things!)--things that He wants to change--about myself.  And I was enjoying it and embracing it!

Sometimes when I read my Bible--and I'm sure others can relate--I feel a bit disconnected, like nothing is really striking a cord.  This hasn't been one of those times.  (Praise God!!!)  I have been totally captivated, not just by one or two verses, but by the whole letter!  It's not even something I can spell out in its entirety right now.  But, I can say this:  that in the midst of working through these five chapters of Scripture again and again, and in recognizing that there were an awful lot of things that God was pointing out to me, He brought a line from a long forgotten song to my mind.
He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be....

That single line--and the truth of it--has been replaying through my mind off and on for a week or more; and finally today I looked up the rest of the words.

Chorus:
He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.
It took Him just a week to make the moon and the stars,
The sun and the Earth and Jupiter and Mars.
How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me.

Verse 1:
There really ought to be a sign upon the heart,
Don't judge her yet, there's an unfinished part.
But I'll be perfect just according to His plan
Fashioned by the Master's loving hands.

Verse 2:
In the mirror of His Word reflections that I see
Make me wonder why He never gave up on me.
He loves me as I am and helps me when I pray
Remember He's the Potter, I'm the clay.

Truly, God has been showing me through "the mirror of His Word" that there are a lot of "unfinished parts" in me.  But the truth that makes that endurable is that He is still "fashioning" me "to make me what I ought to be."    Indeed, I have been gripped by God's Word and by the loving chastisement of my Father; and for that I am so thankful, because I know that "He's still working on me!"


He's Still Working On Me (by Joel Hemphill)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...