Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Grace and Good Medicine

It must be that time of year again. Everyone seems to have illnesses running through their families. We had our round of it last week. Each of the kids took his/her turn running fevers and requiring a lot of extra rest; and with my motherly love and compassion kicked into high gear as I cuddled and comforted my sick children, I found myself praying, "Please, God. Let me not get sick."

When I was growing up and would come down with an illness, I remember my own mom always saying, "Oh, I'd give anything to be the one sick instead of you." How selfless! How loving! But that's not what I was saying to my kids. It broke my heart to see them not feeling well, but the thought of me feeling like they did scared me. After all, mommies don't get Sick Days. "God, please let me not get sick. How will I care for these four kids if I get sick?"

Well, sure enough, I got sick. I knew for sure when I went to bed Sunday night that things weren't looking good. Travis would be back to work the next day, and I would be on my own with four small, dependent children. The thought of having to serve them when I knew all I would want to do is lay around and sleep brought a feeling a dread. My prayer turned from "God, please let me not get sick" to "God, please give me grace to get through this."

Sure enough, He did (and is). When Travis got to work Monday morning with the hopes of being able to come home early to help me, he discovered that his office was having Internet issues and had only four working ports for five people. They actually needed someone to leave and to work from home so that everyone would have Internet connection. So, Travis headed home around noon and picked up lunch for all of us on his way. I fed myself and went straight back to the couch to sleep while Travis did my job and his own. Thank You, God, for giving me grace!

Tuesday morning I still wasn't feeling any better, and I knew there was no chance of Travis being able to stay home. However, by God's grace, the kids slept in about an hour later than usual and then compliantly laid down for naps only three hours later when I just couldn't stay awake any longer. And, the same scenario played out today, as well. Thank You, God, for giving me grace!

This evening, it was the cheerful phone call from my friend Amber and the joy and laughter of my children through which God's grace came. Tonight, I truly experienced the truth of Proverbs 17:22a: "A joyful heart is good medicine." Thank You, God, for giving me grace--and good medicine!

I'm still not feeling up to par, but tomorrow is a new day! Instead of dreading it, I will be rejoicing in it! For, God has shown me once again that, "The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness" (Lamentations 3:22-23)!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...