Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Friday, October 22, 2010

May It Never Be!

I was laying in bed last night, having trouble calming my mind for long enough to allow myself to drift off to sleep, when my train of thought took me to one of those teachable moments I like (and need) so much.

"I wish I could be one of those people who remembers facts well enough to repeat them at will and with confidence," I pridefully thought to myself.  "I wish I had time to research things so that I could be the knowledgeable one in conversations....

[Thoughtful pause.]  (Yes, I really do have things this random running through my mind when I finally get the chance at the end of a long day to just think....)

"The only thing I know with confidence is the Bible...."

[Enter Holy Spirit.]

"I will not boast in anything--no gifts, no power, no wisdom.  But I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection."

As if the Holy Spirit Himself were singing to me, the words from the beautiful hymn suddenly rang through my mind, gently and quickly enlightening me of the sinful desire to boast in myself which I was entertaining in my thoughts.  Immediately, I repented of my pride; and I thanked God for His Word, the only Truth I will ever know with confidence.

"But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Galatians 6:14)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...