Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Trash and Treasure

This has been the season of all things plastic breaking in our home.  From chip clips to pant hangers to toys to trash cans, our list of plastics to replace seems to keep growing.

As I was carrying laundry downstairs in my favorite plastic laundry basket this morning, I discovered that it, too, is broken.  Adding it to my mental replacement list, I began reflecting on the fact that things just aren't made to last.  I do my very best to prolong the life of the things we have, but the fact is that "things" aren't forever.

I'm glad that God has brought me to a place of holding onto my "things" a little more loosely.  Granted, we're talking about plastic--stuff that is fairly inexpensive to replace and therefore fairly easy to let go of.  Yet, I suspect that not so long ago I would have fretted over a cracked laundry basket and regretted the replacement cost of it.

My growing list of broken stuff is just another reminder of Jesus' words.
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21)
 Today I am choosing to treasure in my heart not a trash can or a laundry basket, but my Jesus who saved me and who is coming back again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...