Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Right Where I Belong

During school today, I gave Abel several word cards--dad, cat, can, lad, rat, pot, sis, pan, mom--and asked him to divide them into like categories.  Providing a little hint, I began by asking, "Which words are animals?"  Abel easily located 'cat' and 'rat' and separated them into a pile.  Moving on to the second category, I asked, "Which words belong in the kitchen?"  Abel quickly glanced over the cards and then held one up, saying, "'Mom' belongs in the kitchen...."

It wasn't quite the answer I was expecting (and probably not an answer that our feminist society would appreciate...); but, it was a good answer nonetheless.  After all, I do spend a large majority of each day in the kitchen--right where I belong, apparently.... ;-)

It's true, though, isn't it (in most cases, anyway), that the kitchen is Mom's territory?  When Travis and I were house hunting in early 2007, we laid out some must-haves for our new house; and, right at the top of my list was a kitchen with lots of cupboards, plenty of counter space, and good lighting.  The kitchen would be my primary work space as well as what we deemed the "hub of the household"; so, having the right kitchen was imperative.

And, I must say, the kitchen is what sold me on the house we bought.  I loved the kitchen.  I still do love my kitchen.  On occasion, while working in my kitchen, joy and thankfulness will suddenly overflow from my heart and I will randomly say to my husband, "Honey, I love my kitchen."  I do.  And, I enjoy caring for it.  Scrubbing the floors, polishing the stove top... it truly gives me great joy to maintain the kitchen which belongs to me to which I belong.

Maybe that's why I spend so much time there.  Or, is it because I have four hungry little mouths to feed?... Whatever the reason, I am thankful.  No matter how many times a day I have to sweep the floor, no matter how many fingerprints I have to scrub off the refrigerator door, I will enjoy being in my kitchen.  After all, it's the hub of our household, and it's right where I belong.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...