Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Friday, December 12, 2008

12/12/08 OB Appointment

Bring on the second trimester!  Today I am 13 weeks pregnant!  This morning was our second regular OB appointment, and we met with the doctor who delivered Amariah, my VBAC baby, and who saw me through our miscarriage this past summer.  I was really looking forward to this first meeting with him of this pregnancy, especially after my less than desirable experience with one of his colleagues four weeks ago.

Today's discussion with the doctor went somewhat as I had come to expect.  He gently approached the topic that he surely knew was going to come up anway, telling me that I won't be able to VBAC with twins.  We were able to have a fairly lengthy discussion in this regard that I felt was conducted with mutual respect and understanding.  We got a lot of facts about how a planned cesarean works and discussed his opinions of the risks associated with a twin VBAC vs. a repeat cesarean.  He also reminded me that just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I've lost my rights, and that should I go into labor before the date of a planned cesarean (should we consent to going that route), I would have every right to refuse a cesarean at that time, "signing my life away" and proceeding with an attempt at vaginal delivery.  He also said that were it to happen this way while he was on call, he would be fairly libertarian in allowing me to make that choice.

I have been praying for the last four weeks that today's appointment would be a good indication of what our next move (if any) should be.  While the doctor didn't say exactly what I had hoped to hear, and while we're not exactly sure what to think or do at this point, I can say that I left my appointment with extreme peace.  I know that my God is the same God today in the face of what seems an impossible desire as He was before I ever had the cesarean that puts me in this situation.  He has known for all time that my scarred womb would be housing these two little babies, and I know with all my heart that the God who opened my scarred womb and filled it with a double blessing will be faithful to see us through what lies ahead.  I believe that He will guide us and grant us wisdom as we seek, trust, and rely upon Him.


The best part of today's appointment was definitely getting to see our two little babies!  I wasn't expecting to get this opportunity today, but apparently using the ultrasound machine is the preferred method of getting twins' heartbeats.  Baby A's heart was beating at 168 beats per minute and Baby B's at 158 beats per minute.  We were blessed to watch as both babies squirmed, turned, and twisted.  We even saw a grabbing of the toes and a feeling of the head (that one must be related to Abel!). :-)  What a miracle is happening within me!

Oh, and in other fun news, my 13-week pregnant uterus is measuring 17 cm (the normal size of the uterus at 17 weeks pregnant with one baby).  Praise God for the healthy growth and development of my babies!

3 comments:

Nichole said...

Wow! That picture is AMAZING! We are so excited for you. You are in our daily thoughts and prayers!

nick&abby said...

i love love the picture of your babies! :) what an amazing blessing!
i'm so glad your appointment went well...and while i know it's not the answer you were hoping to get, i'm glad he approached you gently and openly.
either way, God has given you an amazing gift and we couldn't be happier for you and Travis! :)
See you tomorrow!

Melissa said...

What a sweet picture, Angela. I still can't believe you are having twins! I imagine you go through the same thoughts of shock every day. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...