Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Friday, December 19, 2008

Making Christmas Meaningful

Tomorrow Travis and I are celebrating Christmas with our children.  I'm not usually one to go for opening gifts before Christmas Day--and at this time in years past I'm pretty sure we hadn't even started our shopping yet--but we are really excited to spend the day focusing on the birth of Christ, family time, and new traditions.

The new traditions part has me a little worked up, I must admit.  As the mom and wife, I guess I feel a self-induced pressure to make the day as memorable as possible and to set some fun traditions that can be carried on through the years.  I have to keep reminding myself that the main point of Christmas is the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and not the food we will eat, the clothes we will wear, or the special activities we will do.  Still, I think it is fun and healthy to have family traditions, especially at Christmas time.  We are a unit, and I think the right kinds of traditions accompanied by a correct understanding of the meaning of Christmas will only make us a stronger unit.

I guess I still don't know exactly what our day will look like tomorrow, but I know that my prayer is that Christ would be at the center of it.

Thank you, God, for sending Your Son to be born as a man, to live and serve among us, and ultimately to die for our sins.  May You, Jesus, be the focus of our family both this Christmas time and always.

4 comments:

Jessica Pennings said...

I thought I would comment on this sense we were only talking about it a couple of days ago. But I got to thinking the other night that for our family tradition I would like to have a "birthday party" for Jesus.

Growing up we never were completely focused on Christ at Christmas time, sure we went to church and said a prayer at the christmas meal but that is about all I remember Christ having to do with our Christmas. Since half of my side of the family are unbelievers I know our celebration with them will not be able to be focused on Christ the way I would want to.

Like you I desire to teach my kids that Christmas really is about celebrating Jesus and the sacrifice Jesus made for us and I just got to thinking what better way to do that then to have a party, kids love parties. I would still like to incorporate other 'traditions' but I hope to start this next year when Isaac can understand Christmas a little more.

Laura Robie said...

Just to piggy back on what Jess said about ideas....my sister's family bakes a birthday cake and everything for Jesus and sings Happy Birthday to Him before they open presents. I thought it was a good way to really celebrate in a way kid's can understand.

Melissa said...

I understand that pressure feeling you are referring to! Then, I remember that the traditions I hold so dear from growing up were not complex or creative even. It's the repitition of something that makes it a tradition - same date, same music playing, same main dish, same Bible story read, etc.

We haven't figured out exactly what to do, so I will look forward to hearing more about your day!

Merry Christmas, Squires family!!

Jody said...

I was just thinking about this today. I think I am going to have us do the story of Jesus' birth before opening gifts.

As far as gifts, we don't go overboard; in fact the girls each get 3... That was enough for Jesus. I'm hoping that by focusing this way now our future Christmas(s) won't be about stuff.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...