Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Like Mother, Like Son

I have become particularly anal of late about all toys being put away in their proper places at certain times throughout the day: especially before we leave a room, at naptime, and at bedtime. Today I was playing with the kids in Abel's room right before naptime, and a handful of toys not being played with was scattered across the floor. I was noticing these toys and thinking that someone was surely going to step on one or trip over one, but I didn't say anything. Just a few minutes later, Abel paused from our game of catch, looked around his bedroom floor, and said matter-of-factly and with a hint of annoyance, "Me pick up these toys." He and Amariah proceeded to clear the floor of all but two toys, neither of which I even noticed until...

Finally, it was naptime. (I've been looking forward to a nap since about the time I got out of bed this morning.) Abel's room was back in order, he was crawling into bed, and I was heading out the door with Amariah when Abel stopped me. "Uh oh, Mom. There's two toys on floor. That one goes 'Yiyah's' room. That one goes right there." I sluggishly bent over and picked up the toys as I smiled to myself and thought, You've made him this way.

Abel's room now officially in order, Amariah and I headed into her room to lay her down. I noticed some toys scattered on her floor, too, and in my tired state briefly considered leaving them there until bedtime tonight. But thinking of how my 2 1/2-year old had just called me to action in me-like fashion, I again sluggishly bent over and picked up the toys as I smiled to myself. Not the worst habit to teach my kids.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Your right, there could be more terrible things to lear. Sometimes though, Manassah and I like to kick over the toy box just to annoy mommy.

Angela said...

Matt! What a terrible thing to do! :-) I can just see the look on Anna's face as you laugh at the pile of spilled toys.... :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh he does no such thing! We do the same thing at our house. I have to feel like the house is mine for some parts of the day. And even Gabriel pitches in and helps pick up toys, its rewarding to see your hard work pay off!

Anonymous said...

by the way, that was my comment, didn't mean for it to be anonymous!

Angela said...

I should have known Matt was just joking around! :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...