Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Monday, January 10, 2011

Just Thinking...

I am a thinker.  One of my favorite things to do when I get some quiet time to myself is to just think.  Actually, my preferred and best time to think is while lying in my bed at the end of the day.  As a mom, I usually don't feel that my day is over until the darkness of my bedroom and the warmth of my covers envelops me.  It is there with a sense of accomplishment and finality that I can finally relax my body and exercise my mind.

I don't mean to say that a day in the life of a stay-at-home mom doesn't afford the opportunity to exercise the mind--it certainly does.  A mother, wife, and keeper of the home is constantly faced with such "thinking" opportunities as child training, school teaching, wisdom imparting, problem solving, schedule forming, menu planning, list making.  A day as Mom requires that the mind be on task at all times, and that leaves little to no time for freedom of thought.

Now, I must admit that even in the midst of my mentally busy day as Mom, I do accidentally get lost in thought at times.  My husband, my parents, and probably even my children can testify to my not-so admirable ability to get so lost in thought that I completely tune others out.  This is a tendency I try--and sometimes fail--to keep in check; for in my thinking-induced unresponsiveness to those in my presence, I can inadvertently make them feel unimportant and ignored.

Indeed, the quiet darkness of bedtime is the most appropriate time in my day to freely think.  I would say that the busyness of my Mommy mind is what leads me to utilize--and need--the chance to let my mind drift to thought as my body drifts to sleep, but the truth is that I have been a "bedtime thinker" for as long as I can remember.  It is often there, in the still, responsibility-free environment of bed that my best thoughts, reflections, and prayers come and inspire the things you eventually read here at Eternal Outlook.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...