Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

An Undeserved Blessing

I did it!  I ordered some exercise equipment!  Thanks to Amazon Prime's $3.99 one-day shipping, my Gazelle Edge is coming TODAY!  Who spends their Christmas money on exercise equipment and then gets super excited about using it?... Me, I guess! :-)

I already know who's going to assemble it (Travis!  Right, honey? ;-)) and when (Tonight!  Right, honey? ;-)).  And, I have a pretty good idea where it's going to sit (behind the couch in our basement family room).  But... what I haven't decided for sure is when I'm going to use it.  I'm currently not in the habit of getting up early enough to exercise before the kids awake--although, I could get in the habit.  The excitement of using my Gazelle for the first time might just be the motivation I need to start a morning workout routine! :-)  A lot of people say they workout while watching TV, but we really do very little of that.  My computer and reading time is at night after the kids go to bed, so that may not be the best time to exercise, either.  Maybe naptime.... Abel doesn't nap every day like the girls do, but I do require him to stay quietly busy so that I can have some time to myself....

Anyway, I'm rambling.  Maybe it seems silly for me to be so excited over such a simple thing, but it just feels good to make a smart, practical purchase.  I am truly thankful for this package that could be arriving at my door at any hour.

In fact, every time I get something new, be it clothing, household items, electronic gadgets, exercise equipment... I am sincerely thankful, because I am reminded of how truly blessed I am.  I don't need that new shirt or this new colander or those new throw blankets or that smartphone or this Gazelle to survive.  And yet, for whatever reason, God has chosen to bless me with such things.  It only takes a second of reflecting on how much I've been given to make me humbly and fearfully ask God how much is required of me.  He has given me these blessings, and He could take them away.  It's all His in the first place, and I deserve none of it.

Maybe that's part of why I get so excited over every little thing that comes into my possession--because I recognize it as an undeserved blessing.

How indebted I feel when I think of all my God has done for me.  Never could I repay Him; and, isn't it a relief that I don't have to.  Freely He has given to me that which I so desperately needed and then so much more.  And all He asks is that I love, trust, and obey Him.

Undeserved blessings, as all of them are, drive me to praise the One from whom all blessings flow.  I mean no sarcasm when I say that I will be thanking God when the FedEx man rings my doorbell today.

Who would have thought.  Christmas money spent on exercise equipment, an "undeserved blessing."... Me, I guess.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...