Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Connecting with Your Children

I heard a bit of wisdom from a mother more experienced than I that I am thankful to have received while my kids are still so young.  In Titus 2 style, this "older" woman encouraged me and the other young moms in my Bible study group to find a special connecting point--a common point of interest--with each of our children that can remain as the years pass by.  For her, a common point of interest with her son through the years has been in movies and music; and with her daughter, it has been in simply talking.

My kids, of course, are still too young for me to know what things might turn out to be special connecting points between them and me; but, even now, I am beginning to see some things that Abel and Amariah seem to have in common with me--areas in which we easily connect.
  • Abel is his mother's son when it comes to both attention to detail and eagerness to learn.  I am confident that he could detail for anyone who cared to know exactly how I carry out certain tasks--and that he would do those things in the same way himself.  He is hungry for knowledge and excitedly seeks opportunities to be mentored by his mommy.  (Knowing yesterday that it was laundry day--and interested of late in learning the details of folding, hanging, and putting away laundry--Abel told me in a very assuring voice, "When we need to fold laundry, you just let me know.")
  • Amariah is her mother's daughter when it comes to getting lost in thought or in song.  Amariah can be in the same room as the rest of the family and yet be in a completely different world.  She loves to think, and she loves to sing.  (Today, my heart was warmed when Amariah and I, at the exact same moment, broke into singing "Jesus Loves Me" while standing side by side at the sink washing dishes.)
It is exciting, of course, to see my children taking after some of the better parts of me; but more than that, it is exciting to be able to pick up on the little things that interest them so that I can take interest in their interests, both fostering a place of commonality and nurturing a place of potential.

Witnessing the uniqueness of each of my children has been a great blessing and an amazing testimony to God's special design for them.  In no way do I wish to place them into some sort of cookie cutter, forcing them all to be like me or one like the other.  Instead, I rejoice in their differences and am excited to partner with the One who created them to grow them into the best unique selves they can be.  And, as we discover some common points of interest along the way which will serve only to strengthen our mother-child bonds, all the better!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...