Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

When Shopping is a NEED

There is something about the change of seasons that makes me want to... SHOP! :-)

Now, don't get me wrong. I try not to be one of those women--you know, the "high-maintenance" kind.  The last thing I want to do is to burden my husband and our family's budget with my wants; and while I do get spending fever every now and again, I really am a pretty frugal person; and I guess that--and my contentment with my life--keeps me from being too "needy."

However, I obviously do have legitimate needs that arise and that call for me to spend some money from time to time.  For example, over the course of this year, I have worked on practically and frugally revamping my wardrobe which had spent much of the past five years in storage tubs waiting for me to be finally not pregnant or nursing.  Many of my clothes were dated, and many of them just didn't fit the same as they did four babies ago.  (And...  admittedly...while I didn't, in the truest sense of the word, need new clothes (i.e. I wasn't without covering), I certainly wanted some.) :-)

Another legitimate need that arises, especially with the changing of seasons, is the need to clothe our four growing children.  We have been blessed several times with hand-me-downs for Abel; and we have been fortunate that Amariah's old clothes are the correct seasons for the twins.  However, one child's wardrobe isn't always enough to clothe two (especially when their Mommy wants to dress them similarly :-)).

This past weekend, I sat down to think through what clothing the kids realistically need for the onset of Winter and made a list of the things I felt we needed to buy.  I collected coupons, researched prices online, and then decided from where we would buy the needed items.  This gave me the focus to make practical purchases, to stay within budget, and to know exactly what I was looking for when we went into the stores.  I am happy to say that when we went shopping Saturday night, we were able to get everything on my list, to stay right on budget, and to finish before I had exhausted my husband's and kids' tolerance for shopping! :-)

As I think about the items we purchased for the kids, I have no buyer's remorse (which I undoubtedly would feel had I made an unnecessary or unwise purchase).  Instead, I feel confident that our children have what they need for the turn of the season; and I am thankful for God's provision for our family!
"She is not afraid of the snow for her household, for all her household are clothed with scarlet." (Proverbs 31:21)

1 comments:

Mary Kaisand said...

Angela, without children I can't relate to shopping for kid items. But Jon and I are both savers, but I'm noticing what things I should be cutting back on and what things we should be GIVING. For me I would love to make a new meal every day of the month and have dessert. But that's not in the budget yet. And that's okay. Praise God for two nonpicky eaters. With the change of seasons I always want to go out and buy three new shirts/sweaters. Instead I just ask them for Christmas. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...