Titus 2:11-13

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Giving Thanks: God's Physical Provision

With Thanksgiving Day upon us, I am spending this week at Eternal Outlook in intentional giving of thanks to God for His provision in every aspect of my life, and I invite you to do the same.  This will be nothing more than what we are called to do anyway--to be "always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father" (Ephesians 5:20).  All too frequently we allow ourselves to become so comfortable that we forget how much we need God.  Like the Israelites, we sometimes forget (or even fail to recognize) all the mighty things He has done--and is doing--for us.  Let this week be one of both recognizing and remembering God's provision in our lives.

Today, I am specifically praising and thanking God for his physical provision in my life.  It is the things we most need (and want) in this earthly life--food, shelter, clothing (and comfort)--that we can so easily (albeit wrongly) take for granted.  In America, where having an abundance of food, clothing, square footage, and other niceties is the norm, we sometimes don't even realize just how physically blessed by God we truly are.

The Bible tells us that everything we have is from God (see 1 Chronicles 29:10-20); and it also tells us that our heavenly Father knows that we need these things (i.e. food, drink, clothing).  Furthermore, when we seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, these physical needs will be provided for us, too.  (See Matthew 6:24-34.)

Indeed, the fresh water that we drink, the warm showers that we take, the comfortable beds where we sleep, the tasty food that we eat, the nice clothing that we wear, all of this and more comes from God.  Just as I am thankful to God for His spiritual provisions for me, so I am thankful on a daily basis for these physical blessings from God.  He feeds me.  He clothes me.  He shelters me.  He comforts me.  He knows my needs, and He supplies them.
"And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)

Other Posts in This Series:
Giving Thanks: God's Eventual Provision 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...